Boatshed Manager/Boat Builder Job Vacancy
Portsoy Community Enterprise requires a full-time Manager/Boatbuilder for the Portsoy Boatshed, initially for the period up until 31st October 2020. Employment beyond that date is subject to securing ongoing financial support.
The successful applicant will have an understanding of traditional wooden boat-building and equivalent skills, and workshop management experience including an awareness and understanding of relevant Health & Safety and other legislative requirements. An ability to work with and manage people including volunteers and to engage effectively with young people is essential. You will have a keen customer focus, excellent communication skills and experience of financial management, together with an ability to drive legally in the UK
• The salary will be in the region of £25,000 p.a. The post may be filled either on an employee basis or on the basis of a Service Contract.
• Normal working hours are 9.00 to 17.00 Monday to Friday. Occasionally, longer hours and weekend work (with time off in lieu) may be required to meet the demands of the job.
• 28 days paid holiday p.a. plus paid statutory days.
Further particulars including Job Description/ Personal Specification are available below.
Applications, including the names and contact details of two referees, are invited by email to: email@example.com by Friday 15th November 2019
This post is part-funded by the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF)
Job Description/Person Specification for: Portsoy Boatshed Manager/Boatbuilder
The Boatshed is a community–owned building dedicated to preserving and transferring skills in traditional boatbuilding. It is a purpose-built facility that can undertake small-scale boatbuilding and associated work under the leadership of the Manager/Boatbuilder. Education is a key activity whether that is through enhancing the skills of volunteers, or through our partnership activity with Chevron and Banff Academy in working with young adults to improve life skills.
We are now looking for a suitably qualified and experienced person to build upon the work carried out by our previous post-holder to develop these activities and help create a sustainable future for the Boatshed.
- To oversee, and manage, the day to day operation of the Boatshed including:
- Activity programming and progress
- Efficient use of space
- Visitors, volunteers and customers
- Stock control
- Machinery and tool maintenance, repair and replacement
- Health and safety
- In conjunction with the responsible PCE trustee and stakeholders, assist to develop and implement a sustainable Business Plan for the Boatshed including:
- Develop and run courses and projects to match the business plan.
- Encourage volunteering and develop the skills of volunteers.
- Promote the involvement of young persons through liaison with primary schools, Banff Academy and other secondary schools
- Explore opportunities to support organisations such as Help For Heroes
- In conjunction with the responsible PCE trustee and administrator:
- Maintain financial control of the Boatshed in line with approved budgets
- Help identify and seek financial support from, and liase with, sponsors to develop funded outreach projects
- In conjunction with PCE’s marketing co-ordinator:
- Promote the activities of the Boatshed and the opportunities it offers
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
- Experience of building traditional wooden boats or equivalent skills
- An ability to work with, and manage, people including volunteers
- Workshop management experience
- Awareness and understanding of relevant Health & Safety and other relevant legislative requirements
- An ability to engage effectively with young people
- An ability to drive legally in the UK
- Certified by a recognised boat building course
- Experience of financial management
Competences and Personal Specification
You will have a good degree of technical ability and knowledge to carry out boat-building and associated work and to develop these skills in others. You will be able to undertake various routine maintenance works and an ability to prepare, implement, and monitor an ongoing Maintenance Schedule. You will be responsible for monitoring the works of appointed contractors and ensuring they are carried out according to specification.
Customer Service Focus
You will have a good understanding of what constitutes excellent customer service in regard to Boatshed activities and be focussed upon ensuring excellent customer satisfaction. Ideally you will have an understanding of the particular needs of our various customer groups including trainees and their parent agencies, sponsors, and volunteers and be able to reflect that in your interactions.
You will demonstrate an enthusiastic, outgoing and welcoming personality with excellent communication skills.
Leadership and Management
You may be responsible for a number of staff. Some will be paid, others volunteers. We expect you to lead and manage the team effectively to bring out the very best of all, making the best use of the resources available and ensuring a highly committed, supportive and customer focussed workforce. You will have an understanding of how to motivate others and an ability to bring out the best in them. You will have a flexible approach and be prepared to work at times beyond normal working hours and to go the “extra mile”
You will have an ability to carry out a range of administrative duties and tasks. You will have an attention to detail, precision and an ability to manage time effectively. You will have the ability to prepare a range of reports and to make recommendations for improvements
You will be generally I.T. competent and ideally have an understanding of, and ability to work in, Word and Excel.
The appointment will depend on unqualified clearance under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007 and related legislations